Oscarcrow's Page on FaceBook

Friday, September 19, 2014

Queen of the Woods necklace construction sequence.

 These are the basic components for a new necklace I created this week. The metal parts come from http://www.bsueboutiques.com/
and the head is from my shop at Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/listing/203394408/excavated-antique-porcelain-german-doll?ref=shop_home_active_13  I have hundreds available in almost every style from 1850-1910 in age. This head is from 1850-60 and is soft porcelain.
 In the first operation I formed the back a bit to accept the head using a dapping block and punch.
 Next I notched the side rails to allow the head to fit back into the frame.
 Here it is partially fitted and the bottom edge of the doll is smoothed with sandpaper to clean up the line along the edge.
 The metal needed annealing with a torch to soften the metal for bending around the front piece.
 It is also fitted to match the groove around the head and the overlapping is crimped with pliers. I wanted a clean look with a bit more elegance to the top so this next addition gives that and a place to hide the chain connection.
 Fitted under the back and behind the front with a little glue and a rivet it will be strong and give that extra interest to the top.
 The rivet has been set and rings added to hold the necklace.
Side stations in vintage glass flowers and twisted pearls were added for a bit of interest.
 The chain is attached and one of my signature tags is added.
And here she is the Queen of the Woods. I hope you enjoy seeing my methods and materials. You can create this type of necklace so easily. And should you want to buy the original it is listed in my shop on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment